There was a time when Evansville’s west side was known as Independence and every corner on Franklin Street was home to a saloon. Originally part of the town of Lamasco platted in 1837, the neighborhood west of Pigeon Creek grew up independently after…

The Hornet’s Nest is located in Scott Township in an old community once called Earle, named after John Earle, an Englishman who had come to the area around 1828. Brant and Fuller’s 1889 History of Vanderburgh County said that the Earle community was…

The Darmstadt Inn has been a staple in Scott Township in northern Vanderburgh County since the early 20th century.   Darmstadt Community The community around the inn, Darmstadt, was founded in 1822, shortly after the founding of Scott Township in…

Transportation and trade routes often had a major impact on these small communities. They connected them to the wider world. When routes shifted, small communities just as easily were isolated. When the Evansville, Mt. Carmel, & Northern Railway was…

St. Joseph Community 1820s -1840s In the early 1820s, that area that became home to t he St. Joe Inn was known as the Henson Settlement after early white settler-colonizers David and Jesse Henson.The Inn dates back to 1836 and is located in the…

In the southwest corner of Vanderburgh County lies Union Township, a unique area of low lying river bottoms, sloughs and ridges. It is bordered on three sides by the Ohio River, which makes an 18-mile horseshoe around it.  Historically, Union…

Franklin Booth (1874-1948) was the Hamilton County artist who probably had the widest impact on the world of illustration. He developed a unique style based on hundreds of pen strokes that made the finished drawing look like an engraving. Three books…

A spot with a strong connection to the Hamilton County group of illustrators is the former site of the Noblesville High School (NHS) building at 1448 Conner Street. It was attended by George Brehm, who graduated in the 1898 class, Worth Brehm and…

The northwest section of the Noblesville City Hall is the former Carnegie Library building built in 1912. It was used as the city library until 1986. Carnegie libraries were funded by industrialist Andrew Carnegie across the United States between…

Granville Bishop (1831-1902) could be considered the patriarch of the Hamilton County illustrator group. Bishop was born in Fayette County, Indiana. His family moved to Hamilton County in 1836. Bishop was a self-taught artist who taught penmanship,…

The Hamilton East Public Library has acquired an interesting collection of artwork over the last eighty years. Beginning with its first Brehm works donated in the 1930s, the Hamilton East Public Library now has a number of works by the Brehm brothers…

The Clark and Walters circus wagon was built during the 1930s. It was owned by the Timberlake family, who had performed in circuses for three generations. During the winter months the family lived in Jackson County, and the rest of the year they…

The Nentrup trading post served as an economic center for Jackson County in the early 19th century. It has  been tentatively dated to around 1827 and was in use until 1857.  Its owner, who we believe was either named Joseph Henry or Joseph Herman…

Initially built as a horse stable, the Livery Barn at the Jackson County History Center, has been used for a variety of purposes for more than a hundred years. In this stop, you'll learn a bit about the uses of the Barn throughout its history.The…

Howard Hoagland Carmichael died in Rancho Mirage, California, on December 27, 1981. Although he had lived first in New York City and then in California since 1929, he chose to be buried next to his mother, father, and little sister Joanne in…

Hoagy learned of Black life through socializing with Black communities in Indianapolis and Bloomington. He told a story in his autobiography The Stardust Road about spending many of those spring afternoons with friends out at Granny Campbell’s…

Hoagy attended Indiana University from 1920-1926. His mother and grandmother encouraged him to study law as a more practical and reliable career than music. Hoagy obliged, but as a student at IU he put most of his time and energy into playing at…

The Book Nook played a major role in Hoagy’s social life and musical career.  A  soda and sandwich shop popular among Indiana University students, the Book Nook was frequented by campus musicians who kept strict control over who was allowed to play…

Robert Harris’s Princess Theatre opened on June 23, 1913, with the photoplay Mlle. Coquette accompanied by a six piece orchestra. The program also featured chimes playing Ethelbert Nevin’s “The Rosary.” As the first built-from-the-ground-up-movie…

The house on Dunn Street is one of several homes where the Carmichael family lived during Hoagy’s childhood. Born in Bloomington on November 22, 1899, Howard Hoagland was the first child and only son of Howard Clyde (“Cyclone”) and Mary Lida Robison…

Independent Invention Mishawaka-born Wallace Harlow Dodge earned his reputation as an inventor when he patented the Magic Jack in 1878, which became the leading jack for performing wagon maintenance. With the help of his younger brother, William,…

Sitting just south of downtown South Bend, the Bowman Creek area has been a business magnet since the 1860s. The creek supplying water and proximity to the river and rail lines made it an attractive location for local entrepreneurs including a power…