Theodore Clement “T.C.” Steele and his second wife, Selma Neubacher Steele, purchased the land in 1907 and constructed a home there. Known as “The House of the Singing Winds,” the property also housed a studio and acres of landscaped hillside and gardens. Steele was founding member of the Hoosier Group, a group of regional painters interested in Impressionism. The landscapes in Brown County were what drew the Steeles to the area.
The current site covers 211 acres and includes five hiking trails, the Dewar log cabin, and the 92-acre Selma Steele Nature Preserve.