The construction in 1866-67 of the Junction Railroad, which extended from Hamilton, Ohio to Indianapolis, Indiana, provided the first great impetus to Morristown, IN’s growth. The railroad later became part of the Cincinnati, Hamilton, and Indianapolis line, and a county history written in 1887 states that Morristown was the third most important shipping point on the entire line.

The depot itself was constructed soon after the railroad was completed under the supervision of Samuel McGrew Johnson, with its pinned beam, barn-like construction reflecting the agrarian nature of the area. It served as the town’s center of transportation, moving lots of grain and livestock as well as passengers.

The Junction Railroad Depot served as the local railroad center until about 1950, which was then used for storage until 1975, when it was targeted for demolition. To avoid this, it was purchased and removed its current location along U.S. Highway 52. The building was then placed on the National Register in 1979. It stands today as a treasured local landmark.



425 W Main St, Morristown, IN 46161