The small town in northwestern Clark County (formally named New Providence) is now named Borden in honor of Professor William Wesley Borden, the leading citizen who donated the Borden Institute. The town of New Providence was originally founded in 1817 by Borden’s father, John.
The Borden Institute materialized from the New Providence Normal School which was established on April 2, 1883. The objectives of the normal school were to prepare young men and women for teaching, higher institutions of learning, and life work. In July 1885, the normal school was rededicated as the Borden Institute and upgraded to the status of a college. Classical courses were added to the curriculum too. In 1889, the institute was chartered for the purpose of adding a four year high school curriculum. By the end of the 19th century, the Borden Institute offered normal (teaching) courses, college courses, and high school courses.
The building was ultimately demolished in the mid-1980s after being listed on the National Register in June 1973.