Fort Ouiatenon is a former French outpost and trading site that was built along the Wabash River and active from 1717 to 1791. Dr. Richard B. Weatherill, a popular physician in nearby Lafayette, IN, purchased the site of the fort in 1928 and had a blockhouse replica of the fort built two years later. Archaeological work was done at the site throughout the 1970s under the guidance of the Tippecanoe County Historical Association, who still controls the land to this day.
The fort was placed on the National Register in 1970. The site now hosts a museum in the blockhouse replica as well as a historical park on the surrounding land. It also plays host to the annual Feast of the Hunters’ Moon festival.