Levi Coffin House
Designated a National Historic Landmark in 1965, the Levi Coffin House in Fountain City is a significant property in the Underground Railroad. Built in 1827, the two-story brick Federal style house was the home of Levi and Catharine Coffin and their five children. Levi was a Wayne County merchant and businessman. He referred to his house as the Grand Central Station of the Underground Railroad. It is estimated that Levi and Catharine Coffin helped over 2000 enslaved African Americans escape to freedom during the twenty-one years he resided in Fountain City (1826-1847).