Lyman & Asenath Hoyt House
The home of Lyman and Asenath Hoyt was constructed circa 1850 of Indiana limestone in the Greek Revival style. The Hoyts lived in the house with their seven children until 1857 and were active in the anti-slavery movement and the Underground Railroad. Lyman Hoyt was a member of the Neil’s Creek Abolitionist Baptist Church and may have been involved with Eleutherian College, located within half a mile away.
Unlike some others, Lyman Hoyt’s activity with the Underground Railroad has been well documented. In 1930, his daughter, Lois, wrote about her father’s involvement and specifically mentions a cave that was near their pasture in which fleeing enslaved African Americans were hidden. The Hoyt House is now owned by Historic Eleutherian College.