Booker T. Washington School
Constructed in 1905, the Booker T. Washington School served as one of two African American schools in Rush County. This two story, brick building housed grades 1-6 up until 1932, when it was closed by the local school board. The first floor of the school contained classrooms while the second floor had offices and a large open meeting space. Black affiliates of organizations like the NAACP, Odd Fellows, and Masons utilized this space for their meetings. The Washington School served the educational, cultural, political, social, and fraternal needs of the African American community in Rushville. Today, the school is owned by the city of Rushville and houses the Rush County Head Start program.