Jewish social clubs began to form in Indianapolis as the city’s Jewish population reached a steady 1% during the late nineteenth century and self-selection kept most Jews out of already established clubs and organizations. For instance, patterned after the social clubs of the 1860s and 1870s, the Americus Club opened in 1892 and offered a place where Jewish men could comfortably socialize in a setting. Meanwhile, the Indianapolis Club, located in a mansion at 23rd and Meridian Street on Indianapolis’s north side, was started by Standard Paper’s Albert Rosenthal in 1908. Later, in 1925, the club was relocated to Kessler Boulevard and renamed the Broadmoor Country Club. Although the Broadmoor and other such clubs catered to specifically Jewish populations, care was taken by founders to avoid any Jewish identification within the club names. The Broadmoor Country Club remains open to this day.