Originally called the Emboyd Theater, the theater opened in 1928 with 3100 seats. Given the $1.5 million price tag, opulence reigned throughout the building. However, not all the extravagance was visible. The Emboyd contained a state-of-the-art 200-ton steel girder system to support the balcony, an air conditioning system and 1150 organ pipes flanked the stage.
In 1952, the name was changed to the Embassy Theatre and it continued with live shows and movies. From 1952-1972, the focus shifted to movies but the popularity of going to see a movie downtown was waning. The owners decided that it would be more profitable to tear down the theater and make a parking lot than to maintain the building. Fortunately, the community rallied and formed the Embassy Theatre Foundation. The foundation sponsored a major renovation in 1995 and continues to maintain the building.