In 1859 Major Charles P. McGrady, former president of the Vincennes Gas Light Company and railroad contractor, had the home built in Gothic Revival architectural style. In the mid 1860s the home was sold to Joseph Pollock, who then had it remodeled in 1880. In 1883 Pollock’s son Charles, while in a drunken stupor, shot and killed his pregnant wife and then himself in their room on the second floor. It has been a long-talked-about mystery whether her and her unborn child’s death was intentional or a simply a very tragic accident. Their double funeral would later be held within the house.
Following the death of Pollock, the home had a succession of different owners, including Dr. Joseph Swartzel, who purchased the home in 1887, Dexter Aldrich, who purchased it in 1902, and George Ryan, who purchased it in 1912. In 1937, the house was sold to Elmer Brockman who utilized the structure as his family residence and as the Brockman Funeral Home. In 1984 Brockman sold the home to his son Dale Brockman. It continued to be utilized as a funeral home until it was purchased by the Knox County Public Library in 2000.
The grand opening celebration of the “McGrady-Brockman House” was held in April of 2002. It has been an invaluable historical resource center ever since.